The Yellow Springs Community Foundation (YSCF) accepts applications for general discretionary grants for projects, programs and events that enhance life in Yellow Springs and Miami Township. Grant applications must be submitted and received by the Foundation by the last day of the calendar month. They are then considered in the month following their submission.
We are always available to discuss your project and our grant proposal process with you. If this is a new and perhaps uncertain process for you, we encourage you to contact the Executive Director or the Program Manager. This often results in a clearer, potentially more successful grant application.
Jeannamarie Cox, the Executive Director, can be reached at the office: 937-767-2655, on her cell: 937-477-3252 or by email: email@example.com
As a general rule, the Foundation will consider the following elements when reviewing grant requests:
- The project serves an obvious community need or has a clear benefit to the community of Yellow Springs or Miami Township.
- The project is a one-time effort, not ongoing operational support.
- Requests associated with a local nonprofit organization should have written approval and support from that organization.
- We encourage collaboration with local groups. Letters of support/participation from other community organizations add value to the proposal.
- Any compensation (fees, stipends, honorarium, etc.) must be reasonable.
- Each project will be judged on its own merits.
- If the request comes from a non 501(c)(3) organization, an agreement must be in place with a fiscal sponsor organization that is a qualifying 501(c)(3) organization before the application is submitted.
When you are ready to submit your application, complete the online application, which you can save, restart and attach files to the Grant Interface.
Background and Administrative Information
- Name, address, telephone number and an email address of the person/organization requesting the grant. Also include the name(s) of key organization officers, directors, trustees, and the name of the project leader(s).
- The federal tax identification number of the requesting organization. Also include a current copy of the organization’s 501(c)(3) determination letter from the IRS.
- If the organization requesting the grant does not have 501(c)(3) tax status, then we will need instead the name and address of an organization that does have 501(c)(3) status and a fully executed copy of a fiscal sponsorship agreement between your two organizations.
- Where applicable, a brief history and background of your organization, including its purpose and objectives.
- Local spending plans for the grant funds.
- Local diversity impact for the grant funds.
- The organization to which the check for the grant would be payable, including complete address. In the case of fiscal sponsorship, this would be the sponsoring organization
Information about the Proposed Program/Project/Event
- Name and description of the project. Include the estimated start and end dates for the project and the estimated number of people who will be working on it. This description should indicate what Yellow Springs or Miami Township group(s) this project will assist and how it will assist them; or whose well-being in the Village and/or the Township will be improved by this project, and how. Projects that are near completion are less likely to be funded than those open to our collaborative process.
- The total dollar amount of requested funds and the estimated timing of when these funds will be needed.
- The budget for the entire project, listed by major categories of revenues and expenditures. This should indicate from where all financing for this project will come, including the grant being requested from the YSCF.
- For on-going organizations, a copy of your most recent year’s (calendar year or fiscal year) revenues and expenses and balance sheet (if available). If a balance sheet is not available, a statement of funds in various bank accounts will suffice.
IMPORTANT! When applying for a grant, please consolidate as many pages of each supporting document as you can into one file. It makes it difficult for the Grants Review Committee and the trustees to consider grants where each page of a document is scanned into a separate file. When scanning, please use the PDF format. Image formats for documents are often difficult to read.
Grant Application Checklist
Here is a helpful grant application checklist of information you will need to submit your application:
- Review these Guidelines carefully.
- Be able to describe the project and how it will benefit Yellow Springs/Miami Township.
- Include budget details listed by major categories and list of all sources of funding and amounts.
- If applicable, please provide a list of your Board of Directors/Trustees, Officers.
- You must include a current copy of your organization’s 501(c)(3) tax status designation letter or, if using a related 501(c)(3) organization as a fiscal sponsor, the fiscal sponsorship agreement between your organizations and a copy of their 501(c)(3) tax designation letter.
- Please include, where available, financial information for your organization, such as the most recent year’s revenues & expenses, balance sheet or statement of funds in various bank accounts.
- Complete your grant submission by the last calendar day of the month. REMEMBER grants are considered in the month FOLLOWING submission. (EXAMPLE: If a request is submitted in January, it will be considered in February and decisions will be announced by the 15th of the following month, in example March.)
- For grant request above $7,500 please plan to attend the GRC meeting which is generally the second Saturday of each month at 9am.
Please contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.