The Nonprofit Leadership Institute (NLI) engages and inspires community service by introducing students to Yellow Springs area nonprofits. The NLI fosters an understanding of philanthropy and nonprofits, builds leadership skills, and provides service opportunities with hands-on work experience within the Yellow Springs community for professional and personal endeavors. The NLI is the YSCF foundational training program for the Miller Fellow Program and is a requirement for all Miller Fellowships.
You may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Participants will gain educational and hands-on work experience with Yellow Springs area nonprofits. The Institute is intended to raise awareness about philanthropy, and nonprofits—where they are, what they do, how they operate, and their value to communities. The Institute will focus on knowledge about and exposure to professional work environments, communication, grants, and the importance of volunteerism and philanthropy. Participants will also have opportunities to work with nonprofit staff. This will build leadership skills and exposure for professional and personal endeavors. The Institute consists of Workshop Sessions, Panel Discussions, and Work Sessions.
Applicants to the NLI are generally between the ages of 16 and 25. The NLI is open to full-time Greene County college students with a preference to Antioch College students, Yellow Springs residents attending college anywhere, YS / Miami Township juniors and seniors, and Yellow Springs student-residents in a “gap” year. Others with an interest in nonprofits, not meeting these criteria, may be considered to audit the NLI on a case-by-case basis.
- NLI participants must complete an application and an individual interview.
- Participants must commit to the full NLI, work collaboratively and complete all of the activities, and arrive on time and prepared for each work day.
- Workshop sessions and panel discussions will take place virtually or at the YSCF Training location and include educational components and activities.
- Work sessions will include site visits and work at local nonprofits. All locations will be in the Yellow Springs area and may be walkable depending on conditions and preferences.
WAIT LIST & CANCELLATION
Applicants may be placed on a wait list if fellowships have been assigned or for other reasons.
NLI sessions are scheduled for:
- October 23
- Winter and Spring 2022 (exact dates TBD)
Agenda for the session and work session details will be provided upon acceptance to NLI. Students will be compensated for attendance.