The 50th Reunion Leadership Spirit Scholarship was created in 2016 to provide a $1000 scholarship award to a Yellow Springs High School graduating senior who has financial need and demonstrates the qualities that we believe will make the world a better place for future generations. The recipient will have given selflessly with uplifting spirit and compassion for the benefit of others in any of the following venues: the classroom, playing field, theatre, band, school clubs and/or the greater community. To be considered, the student should have a 3.0 GPA; write an essay (500 words or less) explaining what their most uplifting experience was during their four years of high school and how it has impacted them. Academic achievement is vital, but the primary focus of this scholarship is “leadership by example”, with uplifting spirit and the ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, thoughtfully and clearly.
50th Reunion Classes
Many YSHS graduates have fond memories of growing up and going to the schools in Yellow Springs. The Scholarship provides a method to help a deserving graduate take his or her next step in life. If we can make a difference by encouraging leadership and spirit, then we are helping make our world a better place to live.
We invite future 50th reunion classes to consider supporting the Scholarship as a way to recognize our appreciation for the school experience in Yellow Springs and help a new graduate. If the Scholarship continues to gain support from future 50th reunion classes, then it will grow far into the future.
A selection committee from the current participating 50th reunion class will have the opportunity to review Scholarship applications from members of the current YSHS senior class and select the most qualified candidate to receive the Scholarship Award.
Reasons for 50th Reunion Classes to Join the Leadership Spirit Scholarship
Below are points we hope future 50th reunion classes will consider as they decide whether or not to join the Leadership Spirit Scholarship team:
- 50threunion classes have an opportunity to join together to promote leadership and spirit through a scholarship award that is initially $1,000.
- By multiple classes joining together to support the scholarship, we increase the chances that the scholarship will have a long life.
- By adding new contributors each year as a new 50threunion class emerges, we can build up the account value of the scholarship more quickly that can lead to future increases in the scholarship award amount.
- In addition to the total contributor pool expanding each year, we also have the possibility of repeat contributors from previous 50th reunion years adding to the funds raised by the current 50threunion class.
- Through the joint participation of multiple classes supporting a single scholarship versus classes creating separate scholarships, we eliminate the duplication of scholarship administration, both for YSCF account management and the candidate review and winner selection process.
- The YSCF is a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization, and donations are charitable contributions.
In July, 2018, as we remember the two Leadership Spirit Scholarships that have been awarded, we also look to the future. We are learning as we go about communicating with new 50th reunion classes and prospective scholarship applicants. Depending on contributions and scholarship account earnings in future years, we hope to increase the award amount and possibly have multiple winners.
Notes from Participating Classes
Each participating 50th reunion class has the opportunity to create a web page that serves as a communication channel to highlight themes for raising contributions, report fundraising results, and possibly include other information. For our first two participating classes, the notes include a picture of the scholarship winner receiving the award.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the following:
Executive Director, Yellow Springs Community Foundation
Yellow Springs Community Foundation
108 Dayton Street
PO Box 55
Yellow Springs, OH 45387