The 50th Reunion Leadership Spirit Scholarship was created in 2016 to provide a $1,000 scholarship award to a Yellow Springs High School graduating senior who has financial need and demonstrates the qualities that we believe will make the world a better place for future generations. For 2019, the scholarship award was $2,000. For 2020, the scholarship award will be $4,000. The recipient will have given selflessly with uplifting spirit and compassion for the benefit of others in any of the following venues: the classroom, playing field, theatre, band, school clubs and/or the greater community. To be considered, the student should have a 3.0 GPA and submit the following:
- an essay (500 words or less) explaining what their most uplifting experience was during their four years of high school and how it has impacted them,
- at least one letter of recommendation from a school official/teacher and/or someone who has observed the leadership potential of the applicant, and
- a list of extracurricular activities (positions held and responsibilities).
The candidate may also submit other information supporting his/her application. Academic achievement is vital, but the primary focus of this scholarship is “leadership by example”, with uplifting spirit and the ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, thoughtfully and clearly.
50th Reunion Classes
Many YSHS classmates have fond memories of growing up and going to the schools in Yellow Springs. The Scholarship provides a method to help a deserving graduate take his or her next step in life. If we can make a difference by encouraging leadership and spirit, then we are helping make our world a better place to live. We invite future 50th reunion classes to consider supporting the Scholarship as a way to recognize our appreciation for the school experience in Yellow Springs and help a new graduate. If the Scholarship continues to gain support from future 50th reunion classes, then it will grow far into the future. A selection committee including a member from the current participating 50th reunion class will review the Scholarship applications and select the winner from qualified candidates.
Reasons for 50th Reunion Classes to Join the Leadership Spirit Scholarship
Below are points we hope future 50th reunion classes will consider as they decide whether or not to join the Leadership Spirit Scholarship team:
- 50th reunion classes have an opportunity to join together to promote leadership and spirit through a scholarship award.
- By multiple classes joining together to support the scholarship, we increase the chances that the scholarship will have a long life.
- In addition to the total contributor pool expanding each year, we also have the possibility of repeat contributors from previous 50th reunion years adding to the funds raised by the current 50th reunion class.
- Each participating class will have the opportunity to create their own Class Notes web page (see below).
- Through the joint participation of multiple classes supporting a single scholarship versus classes creating separate scholarships, we eliminate the duplication of scholarship administration, both for YSCF account management and the candidate review and winner selection process.
- The YSCF is a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization, and donations are charitable contributions.
Please use the button below to view the donation options. For classmates of a Yellow Springs High School or Bryan High School graduating class, please include the year of the graduating class. For example, specify the donation is for: “50th Reunion Scholarship – Class of NNNN”
Messages about the Scholarship
We are introducing the Messages page where the plan is to invite past scholarship winners to share their thoughts and experiences. See Messages.
Each participating 50th reunion class has the opportunity to submit content for a web page on the YSFC website. The class notes serve as a communication channel that may include information such as themes for raising contributions to the Scholarship, fundraising results, and anything else that could be of general interest to past and future participating 50th reunion classes or anyone learning more about the Scholarship. For our first three participating classes, the class notes include a picture of the scholarship winner receiving the award. Generally, the class notes will be updated in the June timeframe each year.
Scholarship Account Status at End of Last Quarter
As we remember the three Leadership Spirit Scholarships that have been awarded, we also look to the future. We are learning as we go about communicating with new 50th reunion classes and prospective scholarship applicants. Depending on contributions and scholarship account earnings in future years, we hope to increase the award amount and possibly have multiple winners.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the following: